Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Learning the Strength of My Temptations


I picked up C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity again last night, and am really not sure how I set it down so long! The last time I read from it was in December, and I'm just over halfway through it. Every page is loaded with what I feel is rare wisdom shared in a clear and direct way.

He writes about how we only understand the strength of temptation when we finally stand against it. He explains this well by comparing the battle to a man walking against the wind. You don't know the strength of the wind if you lay down–you know it when you fight it.

This got me asking questions. Why should it matter that we know the strength of our temptation? What would be the benefit or purpose of knowing how strong our opponent is?

My pride answered this question first. I thought, "Well, if I understand the strength of my temptation and continue to stand against it, I can be reminded of how strong my character is and even be encouraged that I am being a good person." I hate to admit that, but that was my initial thought.

Thankfully, I was having this conversation in prayer, so I was listening for His voice, too. He quickly convicted and corrected me. "The purpose of knowing the strength of your temptations is not to remind you of how good and strong YOU are, but to reveal how good and strong I AM." Back to my senses! This is "mere Christianity!" I KNOW I am nothing apart from Him, but apparently I'm tempted to believe otherwise.

Last night, that reminded me of how good and strong He is and that ultimately it boils down to the fact that every bit of our life is to glorify Him–even our temptations can lead us to more truth if we remember that our strength is in Him. Who am I if not for Christ that is in me?

2 comments:

  1. Amber - I saw on Twitter that you booked your wedding at Texas Old Town - Have you selected your photographer yet? May we introduce ourselves to you? Raymond and Debra at http://www.everafterimages.com

    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I'm actually meeting with my photographers tonight. I appreciate the offer though. (They are friends with a budding business that have offered their services.) Our budget is tight of course--my fiancé is a full-time student and we have to take every break we can! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete